VFW Post Bulletin 6660 – Wayne County Newspaper Banner


Randle Tolliver, Quartermaster/Warrant Officer

[email protected] / www.facebook.com/VFW Post-6660

For veterans in crisis, the Veterans Crisis Line number—988 then press “1” or 1-800-273-8255 and press “1”.

For homebound veterans in need of assistance, please contact Jay Parks at (573) 689-1477, Randy Tolliver at (573) 924-2382 or Scott Rosen at (573) 466-9188.

The VFW auxiliaries will meet at 1 p.m. Oct. 15 at the Donald L. Cook/Billy J. Swyres Memorial Veterans Center in Centerville.

The next shift meeting will be on October 16 at 2 p.m. at the same location.

We had a great time at the Reynolds County Fair and talked with lots of people. Thanks for stopping by and saying hello!

To those caring for a disabled veteran, God bless you. If you are a caregiver in need of help or are concerned about help, one resource is the VA’s Family Caregiver Comprehensive Assistance Program (PFAFC). Services available in this program include:

Adult Day Health Care Centers (ADHC) provide a safe, active, and supervised environment for veterans to get out of their homes, participate in activities, and socialize with other veterans. This gives the caregiver some “me” time.

Primary Home Care (HBPC) provides routine health care services, including home care if needed. HBPC provides primary and nursing care, medication management and meal assistance. It may also include physical rehabilitation, mental health care and social work.

Skilled Home Care provides a medical professional to come to your home for homebound veterans. This includes basic nursing services and physical, occupational or speech therapy. Skilled Home Care Service is similar to HBPC, but involves VA purchasing care for a veteran from a non-VA licensed professional.

The home help and home help program helps with personal care needs such as feeding and bathing. The local VA Medical Center (VAMC) can help you find a home health aide who will come to your home regularly, giving the caregiver time to attend to other issues.

The Telehealth at Home program allows the caregiver to have access to a care coordinator by telephone or Internet. The program is for people who live far from a VAMC. Home telehealth also includes education and training or online and telephone support groups.

Respite care up to 30 days per year. Care in a variety of settings, including in your home or through a veteran’s temporary placement in a VA Community Living Center, VA contracted community residential care facility, or adult day health care center . Respite care can also be authorized emergencies such as hospitalization of the caregiver or a family emergency.

Home Hospice Care offers comfort and support services for you and the veteran during the advanced stages of a terminal illness, an interdisciplinary team of health care providers and volunteers from a community palliative care agency local provide the services during this period.

For more information, contact the Caregiver Support Coordinator at VAMC Poplar Bluff at 573-686-4151 ext. 52149 / 59118 or https://www.va.gov/family-member-benefits/comprehensive-assistance-for-family-caregivers/.

It’s flu season again! Veterans of the VA health system can receive free flu shots through Community Care Network retail pharmacies and urgent care partners. Simply present a valid government-issued ID. To confirm your eligibility, call the VA Medical Center in Poplar Bluff at (573) 686-4151 or call 844-MyVA311 (844-698-2311), select 1, then select 1 again. For locations, see https://www.va.gov/communitycare/flushot.asp.

Please continue to support the inclusion of the “Major Richard Star Act” in the FY23 Nation Defense Authorization Act. This would allow combat-disabled pensioners to receive, without reduction, a Veteran’s Disability Award and a Retirement Allowance or Special Combat-Related Allowance. Please also support the “Afghan Adjustment Act (HR 8685/S.4787)” to help Afghans who, at great personal risk to themselves and their families, served with us as interpreters and were evacuated to the autumn in Kabul. Please call and/or write: Senator Josh Hawley, 115 Russell Senator Office Building, Washington DC 20510/(202) 224-6154, Senator Roy Blunt, 260 Russell Senator Office Building Washington, DC 20510/(202) 224-5721, or Congressman Jason Smith, PO Box 4707 Poplar Bluff, MO 63902 / (573) 609-2996.

Our annual Educational Awards, Teacher of the Year, Patriot’s Pen and Voice of Democracy programs are ongoing. Patriot’s Pen is open to students in grades 6, 7 and 8 and this year’s theme is “My Commitment to Our Veterans”. The Voice of Democracy audio trial is open to students in grades 9-12 and this year’s theme is “Why is veteran important?” » Home-schooled students are encouraged to participate. Our Teacher of the Year program recognizes teachers who promote civic responsibility, patriotism, and help students develop a better understanding of American values ​​and beliefs. For more information, please contact Dr. Charles Laramore at (573) 637-2112, Jay Parks or Randy Tolliver.

Regarding the Camp LeJeune water issue, prosecution is authorized by Section 804 of the PACT ACT (“Camp Lejeune Justice Act of 2022”). Although attorneys are trying to enroll clients for major lawsuits, the VFW Veterans Service office recommends veterans not join a lawsuit until the VA clarifies how the settlements will affect benefits and care. service-related. For more information, please contact the VFW VSO, Jim Juergens at the Poplar Bluff VAMC at [email protected], or (573) 778-4614.

Now, a few reminders:

For more information about local VA healthcare, call the Poplar Bluff VAMC at (573) 686-4151 or https://www.poplarbluff.va.gov/services/index.asp

VA’s one-stop phone number is 1-800-698-2411 and press “0” to reach a live agent for immediate assistance. VA’s sole website is VA.gov Home | Veterans Affairs.

The Missouri Veterans Commission (MVC) benefits and resources one-stop portal is www.veteranbenefits.mo.gov or call (573) 522-4061.

To order military service records such as a DD 214/Separation Document or Official Military Personnel File (OMPF), contact the National Archives, National Personnel Records Center at https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service -records, or call (866) 272-6272.

For more information, contact Jay Parks, Randy Tolliver, or Heather King at (573) 330-1020, or email [email protected] or visit https://movfw.org.

“Here to Serve”


Comments are closed.