Colombia is one of the most recommended countries for whale watching during the months of July to October. Thousands of tourists travel to the Pacific region of this country to see these incredible animals.
The National Natural Parks of Colombia have informed that from July 15 to October 17, humpback whales arrive in the country, welcoming the natural phenomenon that takes place between the National Natural Parks Uramba Bahía Málaga, Gorgona and Utría.
According to National Natural Parks, “Humpback whales arrive on the Colombian coast after traveling 8,500 kilometers from Antarctica and southern Chile to develop their reproductive stage, which includes fertilization, gestation and the birth of calves. “.
Whale watching in the country’s marine ecosystems is increasingly becoming an attraction for Colombians and foreigners alike and positions the season from July to October as an opportunity for locals to boost ecotourism activities.
Therefore, the entity has stressed the importance of carrying out responsible bird watching, for which it carries out education and awareness activities for visitors to protected areas.
The recommendations given by the authorities for those who will carry out this activity are:
– Attend the 10-minute briefing on the importance of the protected area.
– It is essential to maintain a distance of 200 meters when watching whales.
– All boats must be accompanied by an environmental interpreter.
– Boats are allowed to go whale watching from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
– Do not bring single-use plastic into protected areas.